For One Direction fans, Four can mean many things, from the number of Harry’s nipples to the number of years we have been loving devoted fans. As of 2014, One Direction has been together for FOUR Years! Wow how the time has flown! Seems like just yesterday they were put together almost naming the band Unique Selling Point. Flash forward four years and here we are. The boys have released their fourth album respectably called FOUR in honor of their four years of accomplishments. Its been just under a week since its been released and I finally have found it within myself to let the album consume me and share all my raw thoughts and emotions with you. So without further adieu, here is my track by track reaction to the legendary album FOUR.
1. Steal My Girl– By now I’m sure we have all heard this song or watched the music video at least 20300238408 times. I think this song is a great way to start the album. It lets you know that their sound has changed but at the end of the day they are still the band we love. I love how they gave each of the boys a part of the song. It’s much nicer having them all sing their own parts instead of background harmonies while only a few get to experience the spotlight. This song came out way before the album and has been on repeat I can’t even tell you how many times. I think the message of the song is so adorable about how much they love this girl and never want to share her with the world. Lyrically its beautiful about how long they have been dating this girl and how close they have grown. “The sun doesn’t shine the world doesn’t turn” must be some special lady. Highlights include Zayn’s epic high note, Louis and Liam’s gentle “alright” and of course Harry’s solo. This song also works well acoustic and I am pumped to hear it on tour.
Favorite Line: And I’m never gonna let another take her love from me now. ( I love to scream this part loudly whenever I hear the song)
2. Ready to Run– I know what you are thinking and to answer your question this song is not in Tarzan. It has a very Phil Collins Disney Movie kind of feel but its so much more than that! I love how different this song sounds with its emphasis on guitar. I would say that its similar to the sound of Mumford and Sons which is a sound One Direction typically wouldn’t be categorized under. This album is all about breaking the stereotype and I’m all for it. The chorus to this song is just epic; another song I love the scream at the top of my lungs. My favorite part has to be the super long note Zayn does. I swear the heavens open up whenever he sings. I’m not gonna lie and say the song makes sense. Its a great song but it takes a few listens to grasp what they are saying. I wanna get lost in the dark of the night with them, sounds like fun. I can’t get over the guitar in the chorus, it just makes the whole track. READY TO RUN INTO THEIR ARMS TO ESCAPE FROM MY LIFE.
Favorite Line: There’s a future in a my life I can’t foresee (Literally me freaking the fuck out about my future after college and what to do the rest of my life)
3. Where Do Broken Hearts Go- One of two places, the freezer for some ice cream or a one direction concert. I think this is the song I am most excited to hear live. Especially since Zayn and Niall listed it as their favorite off the album. I love to scream this song at the top of my lungs. No lie I listened to it on repeat the day it was the new track with the pre order and I had no voice from screaming it all day. It’s one of my favorites on the album for sure. Zayn’s voice is perfect for the chorus and Harry kills his solo as always. Vocally the boys are amazing on this album. You can hear the huge difference and how much they have grown. Also this album has so much Louis!!! I feel he is always under appreciated on each album but he really owns this one. Niall too, they kill it in this song. So Where Do Broken Hearts Go? wherever these five idiots will take us.
Favorite Line: Are you sleeping baby by yourself, or are you giving it to someone else
4. 18– This song is just so damn adorable and has Ed Sheeran all over it. You can completely tell it is his track. Obsessed with how Niall says “chance” and Liam with “slow motion, motion, motion.” Again this song is dominated by Zayn and Louis which is so perfect because they have such soothing voices. Its not my favorite on the album because I would rather dance and rock out than cry about my lack of love life or how badly I want Zayn to press his hands to my cheeks but hey, its still a great song. Its gonna be amazing to hear this live and see the stadium light up with iPhone flashlights.
Favorite Line: So kiss me where I lay down my hands pressed to your cheeks
5. Girl Almighty– First thought when the song started was Beach Boys/ Teen Beach Movie. Don’t ask me why but I picture the boys doing some crazy 60s dance moves to this song in swim trunks. I find that I am always singing this song when I least expect it. And although I try to keep my mind out of the gutter, I can’t help but laugh when I sing ” I get down on my knees for you” CAUSE LETS BE HONEST IF THEY WANTED ME ON MY KNEES TO WORSHIP THEM OR DO SOMETHING ELSE I TOTALLY WOULD. I honestly don’t understand the references they are making with ambulances and balloons but its a such a fun song I can’t help but love it. I’m in love with they way they all say “Girl Almighty” and the highest of high notes they hit. Let’s have another toast to the Girl Almighty! Drink Up!
Favorite Line: I get down on my knees for you
6. Fools Gold– Honestly this might be my least favorite only cause I was jamming to Girl Almighty and then we slowed things down when I still wanted to party. It sounds a lot like “Safe and Sound” from the Hunger Games. Also who the fuck would use them, that’s just not right. Like how dare you make them fall for you and use them and then they sing this depressing song. I have to admit I love all the nautical references and the sound is still pretty epic despite the slow pace. I can easily see the whole stadium waving their arms back and forth to the music. I know I was supposed to listen to the album for the songs but all I could think about was the live performance of them. Gonna be an amazing tour!!
Favorite Line: I’m the first to admit that I’m reckless
7. Night Changes– Second favorite on the album. The music video just came out and I literally died. Honestly I didn’t pay much attention to the song until they released the acoustic version. Harry in this song is just a magical dream. It really puts things into perspective about how much they have grown as we are reminded “we’re only getting older baby.” Everyone kills it on their vocals in this song and the harmonies and oooohs just make me want to melt. I am always singing this song during the lulls of the day and I honestly can’t get over it. Especially Liams ooohs and Zayn’s solo and Harry at the end with the key change. Basically I die every time I listen to it and pretend they are serenading me. Pathetic I know. Check back this Tuesday for my review of the Night Changes video!
Favorite Line: She’s falling doesn’t even know it yet
8. No Control– Perfect title considering I literally have no chill whenever this song comes on. I’m talking full on belting, jumping and headbanging. FAVORITE SONG ON THE ALBUM. Louis makes me so proud, he is literally this song, if there was no Louis in it I don’t think I would love it as much. And lets be real, who doesn’t love a song about sex with One Direction. I just can’t explain why I love this song so much but it brought me to tears the first time I heard it. Yes I listened to the leak…shoot me. Zayns solo also gives me life, especially when Louis solo follows it. GAHH I JUST LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH PLAY IT AT MY FUNERAL PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Favorite Line: The heat where you lay, I could stay right here and burn in it all day
9. Fireproof– This song was first released for free accompanied by the announcement about the new album and I lost my shit over both. This song means so much because it marked the beginning of the Four era. Really funny story by the way. I was having a dream and of course Harry was there cause lets be real he is in about 85% of my dreams. So in the dream I’m sleeping and Harry just got home and is getting into bed and he shakes me a bit and he tells me to check my phone with a huge smile on his face. I kid you not, I woke up from the dream and checked my phone, and in that second, LIAMS TWEET ABOUT THE NEW SONG BEING RELEASED FOR FREE CAME UP IN MY NOTIFICATIONS. Harry literally told me in my dream to wake up to check my phone and when I did it was the announcement of FIREPROOF. Getting off track but anyway, this song is such a great one to just relax and sway to. For some reason it reminds me of Here Comes the Sun with its easy listening. I love this song and everything it stands for. Love the vocals and love when the music cuts out and you hear their harmonies. Great track and now listening to the album it makes so much sense with the new sound.
Favorite Line: I roll and I roll till I change my luck
10. Spaces- OMG THIS SONG GIVES ME SO MANY EMOTIONS. I can’t get over the chorus of this song. Its the most perfect song for PCD because the boys leave America for the UK and the spaces between us get deeper and deeper and yeah its depressing. Its actually a really sad song and I don’t like when they are sad. I just really love the music in this one and how epic it makes everything sound. If you listen closely you can actually hear their hearts breaking as they pour out their emotions about the spaces. Zayn’s solo followed by the boys harmony of the chorus just stabs me in the heart repeatedly because of how beautiful they sound. Are they even human? Is it possible to have five beautiful human beings with voices of angels? Will we ever know?
Favorite Line: Holding our secrets, leaving us speechless
11. Stockholm Syndrome– Let’s be honest, I’m almost 100% sure the title of this song had everyone scared shitless. I was expecting some sort of twisted fanfic kidnapping story but its actually such a cute play on words. I am obsessed with the 80’s Michael Jackson vibe it has. Its easy to tell that Harry was the writer on this track. Its such a different sound I never expected from One Direction but I am completely in love with it. Each of the boys have their standout moments in the song and it just makes me want to dance. However it always makes me want to laugh because of how Harry casually described it as a song about a nympho…you know casual. I would say its one of my favorites from the album. I just really digg the sound.
Favorite Line: But now together we’re alone and there’s no other place I’d ever wanna go
12. Clouds– SUCH AN EPIC SONG OMG I JUST WANT TO SCREAM THE WHOLE THING. The opening scream is just amazing and I had no idea what I was in for. I think its one of the most different. Honestly the boys did such a good job on this album with the balance of fast and slow and different songs. None of them sound the same and they each have their own distinct style. You can tell they are finally making the music that they want to be. The title to this song is kinda farfetched compared to the rest of the song. The background tracks in this song are just heavenly so I guess that has to do with Clouds right? At times it sounds like Mulan Rouge when they boys hit notes and they do this cool high notes thing in the middle. I’m just a jumble of thoughts for this one but I find if Night Changes isn’t stuck in my head that this one is.
Favorite Line: Well love is always, always changing
13. Change Your Ticket– I have only heard one song by the 1975 but I can just tell that this song fits right in with that style. I think lyrically this song might be my favorite. I like the story line of spending an amazing night with someone and wishing that they would stay with you. They could change my ticket anytime, in fact I would stay until they kicked me out and things got creepy. The beat to this is so fun that you can’t help but bob along. Its times like this when I wish I had a car cause I could just imagine how great of a roadtrip song this is. Also this song makes me think of Harry’s stupid dance moves that he would do onstage to this song.
Favorite Line: Watching you get dressed, messes with my head
14. Illusion– This is one of the deluxe tracks and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I know its written about Sophia which is really cute but I just don’t think its up to par with the rest of the album. It’s a really cute song about how he hopes she is happy and just how much he loves her and how its not fake. I like the screaming parts and I like Liam’s vocals in it. I think its so funny that people actually believed that Niall wrote this song about Liam’s girlfriend! That would be hysterical. This might be my least favorite but I feel bad saying that about any song…so lets just say its alright.
Favorite Line: I would never turn your heart into broken parts
15. Once in a Lifetime– This song sounds so much like the Beatles! I love the guitar and the vibe it gives. Although every time I go to sing it I jump to Zac Efron singing “Once in a lifetime means there’s no second chance..” but its a much slower and sweeter song than that. Its a very slow song with a ton of harmonies and really cute lyrics about someone they love. I will gladly be by your side One Direction, pick the time and place 🙂
Favorite Line: Not even the bad guys in the dark night could take it all away
16. Act my Age– Can we just talk about how “when I’m fat and old” are now One Direction lyrics. HOLY CRAP I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS SONG AND I KNOW IT IS SO RIDICULOUS AND CRAZY BUT I CANT HELP IT. I straight up Irish jig to this while wishing the six of us were in a huddle drunkenly singly this at a bar… I am in love with the Irish/pirate/chanty influence and especially Harry’s solo. Its safe to say that one part of the song gives me life. I also love how they included Niall’s laugh in the track. When I first heard it I couldn’t even believe it was a real thing. It sounded like a track they would make for shits a gigs that would never ever make it close to being on the album but alas its there and I find myself always wanting to listen to it. I am all for the message of being young forever no matter what happens in life. I love how the album got all sad about getting older and then it ends with this song saying “fuck it I’m still gonna Irish jig when I’m fat and old.” It really captures the spirit of the boys which is all I could ever ask for.
Favorite Line: When I can hardly walk and my hair is falling out, we’ll still stay out till morning
Overall I am fucking obsessed with this album. I am beyond pissed that my biggest assignments were due this week since its the week before break. Literally I had no time to listen to it as much as I would have liked with all the tests and group projects which is a huge bummer because I wanted to be 1DAF all of release week but you know school. So that’s also the reason I haven’t updated this blog in eons. But I am back! This is only the beginning! I have much more free time now and so much is happening that I can’t wait to post about. If you haven’t already go by the album!!!!